We learnt that Sophia Klumpp, the founder of AFRIpads left her life in Western society behind the day she decided that making clean and safe sanitary products for young girls in Africa was her calling. When she found out, on a holiday in Uganda, that young girls were missing 20% of their school year due to having their period, she knew she had to do something. What started as one room, a sewing machine and a lovely Ugandan woman, has now turned into a partnership with Moxie, to bring better health and education to young girls across Africa.
Moxie has joined with AFRIpads in an attempt to extend the reach of Sophia’s amazing work.
At this breakfast, we also learnt about their social media campaign #OneForTheGirls. Through this social media campaign, they hope to get women and men everywhere thinking about and sharing what they are grateful for everyday. To show just how lucky we all can be and how we can sometimes forget that.
I thought long and hard about what I wanted to post, what I was grateful for. I realized there was too much for one tweet, too much for one instagram photo. So today I bring you a list. Some small, some huge. These are the things I am grateful for today:
- My family
- My friends – some truly know me better than I know myself
- My housemates – they know I suck at recycling and they don’t mind
- Dry socks after walking in the rain
- My little heater that keeps my room warm
- My morning coffee
- Ankle boots
- Cacao nibs – damn they are tasty
- My job
- Living in a safe country
- Twitter – endless hours of entertainment
- Clean sanitary products
- Modern medicine
- Vanilla soymilk – try it in coffee and get back to me
- Prohibition – it did wonders for cocktails
- Ryan Gosling – ladies, am I right?
- My Mac
- My high school English teacher who will never let me forget that it’s ‘a lot’ not ‘alot’
- The guy at the petrol station who gave me 5 cents off my petrol the other day
- My car
- The fact that arranged marriages aren’t a thing in my life
- Puppies – they literally make everything better
- My local health food store
- Memes – Monday would be nothing without them
- My mum – for telling me that I could have anything I wanted in this world and believing it.
I could go on. And each day that list is going to be different. In a society where #firstworldproblems are often the only problems we encounter in a day, taking a step back to say thank you for the things we are blessed with, is a worth while way to spend five minutes.
What are you grateful for today?